Being a full-time mom and a business owner is not an easy feat. Especially if you are blessed to be a mom to more than one child and have other responsibilities outside of your home. Going beyond your comfort zone to have your own successful business is possible when you are equipped with the best time management tips. Continue reading to get effective time management tips that are extremely helpful to all mom entrepreneurs.
Whether you are a new mom thinking of starting your own business or you already have a successful business but you are struggling with having time for your kids. Being able to manage and save time is so important.
To achieve that balanced life we all long to have, time management is a skill that is necessary for all busy mompreneurs. This skill simply requires creating an every day system that helps you to focus.
Before we go into the important time management tips in this blog post. let us talk about how your mindset and expectations affect your time management and productivity in your business and family life.
Have a vision
As moms with big goals and different challenging tasks, it is helpful to create a realistic image of who you want to be. This is because it will help you focus on your priorities. It also guides you to know how to write a schedule and manage your everyday tasks and responsibilities. This simply means planning how your family, business, and even you as a mother can have success in different areas of life.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself as you create the picture of who you want to become in a matter of time.
What kind of mom would you like to be?
Do you want to work from home or have a work space out of the home for your business?
Are you willing to make your business a full-time job?
How would you want to balance your mom life and business as you work at making more profit?
Will you need someone to care for your kids while you work?
Do you desire more flexibility?
Can your health handle the stress that may come with starting or managing a business?
There are so many other questions that you can ask yourself as you create images that would lead to your goal.
Looking at the lives of other moms in business can give you more insight into what to expect as busy mompreneurs.
Best time management tips for a successful business
There are so many tools that are used to manage and boost productivity in businesses. Take a look at these awesome tips.
Are you a mom that claims there is not enough time to be as productive as you want to be? Consider taking a look at how you can improve your habits.
Here are some helpful habits that keep moms on track and increase productivity:
- Every evening, try to write a list of the tasks for the next day.
- Try to do a few things like washing the dishes, tidying up the rooms, and setting out clothes for the kids and the meals for the next day before going to sleep.
- Planning and creating a schedule for your kids to follow will help you not to lose track.
- As a mom, you need to get up an hour or 30 minutes earlier than your kids. This will give you some time to knock off a few tasks on your to-do list.
- Fill a cup of water to drink in the morning before having coffee. This helps to gently awaken your body and it keeps you healthy.
- Create time for yourself in the morning, whether it is to work out, pray, meditate, or read a book.
- Don’t give up if you don’t complete all the tasks you planned to accomplish. Get up, try again and conquer those challenging tasks!
When we started researching time management, we noticed that many moms struggle to create an effective schedule.
Coming up with a realistic schedule is the most important time management tip that will help save time, increase productivity, and guarantee success in managing your home and family life.
It is necessary for you to be able to distinguish between important tasks and menial tasks. Your schedule should cover not just your business but must include your home life, social life, and any other area.
Following a schedule requires discipline to complete a task within the time required. Determination to be disciplined is helpful because it will push you to complete your goals, one task at a time. This is especially necessary when you have kids.
Before writing a schedule, list the tasks that you expect to do within the week. You can decide to use your Sunday or Saturday evenings to plan your tasks for the week. Make a list of the things you want to do. Include your domestic chores and any business-related work.
This is an idea of what your list of tasks could look like:
1. Clean the kitchen
- Do the laundry
- Take Lucas to his appointment with the dentist.
- Respond to emails
- Call your best friend Melissa
- Mow the lawn
- Help decorate your neighbor’s living room for her granddaughter’s birthday.
- Go on Instagram
- Call some clients
- And most importantly, saying NO to distractions.
More on creating a schedule
You may not be able to excel in time management without carrying out a time audit. It is so helpful and important because it lets you know how you’ve been spending your time.
This is done by observing and keeping track of the time you spend doing different activities (like cooking, cleaning, responding to emails, using social media, and playing with your children) every day.
When you have done this, write it out and analyze the result. Adjust areas you feel have taken too much of your time or need more time.
Doing this will improve how we manage our time.
Have you ever heard of time blocking? If you haven’t or if you are not sure how to apply it. Now is a good time to grab a notepad and a pencil. You may wonder, why pencil and not my favorite pen. This is because writing a schedule isn’t something you get perfectly the first time. You’ll need to make changes many times before arriving at the best time management game plan made for you.
Time blocking is one of the major time management tips. It is simply a blend of your to-do list and a calendar. It helps to ensure that you can work on all your tasks.
The first step to take in time blocking is to list the activities and tasks you are involved with on a daily or weekly basis and the approximate time you need to do it. The next thing is to map out a plan of how you will spend your day by blocking certain periods to do each task.
This makes it possible to tick off many tasks on your list within 24 hours because the way you will spend your time is all planned out.
Ask for help!
There is absolutely nothing shameful in asking for help. If you are result driven and want to check as many tasks on your to-do list, you need to be able to ask for help.
Many mom entrepreneurs are trapped in the “do it all by yourself” mindset. They belittle themselves if a situation or task pushes them to delegate tasks, hire someone or even ask their family or friends for help
Hello, supermoms out there!! Make life easier for yourself. Be a wise woman and ask for help!!!
Let us be honest being a mom and a business owner is normally not easy, but this can change if you delegate jobs. You may have some challenging tasks that are on your to-do list. Take advantage of people or businesses that offer services that you can use.
Here are some helpful tips for handling certain situations and tasks
- If you need to attend a conference that will greatly impact your business but you are not sure of what to do with your kids. Try asking your spouse, a trusted friend, or a family member to help watch them. You can also hire a reliable babysitter.
- Let’s say you’ve swallowed up business activities and active kids. You haven’t had the time to attack your ever-growing laundry. This is the time to search for a good laundry business you can hand over the task to and pay for their services.
- If you have noticed you spend a whole lot of time sealing and packaging your products at the expense of making lasting memories with your family. Hire someone to take over the packaging aspect of your business.
As a mom with a full-time job caring for your family and business, the expression ” all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy” is so true. Especially for busy moms. Unfortunately, many women entrepreneurs overlook this and instead fill their week with many tasks.
Busy mompreneurs have a hard time giving themselves a break. This is because so many things (kids, partners, work, etc) are pulling for their attention and they find it difficult to press pause and take a deep breath.
Having quality time set apart to rest and refresh yourself will not only help you to spend valuable time by yourself or with your family. It will also help you to be more productive in your businesses.
There are some key areas that mom entrepreneurs must not ignore.
• Physical wellbeing
•And mental wellbeing
Self care Ideas
- Take morning walks
- Engage in spiritual activities like praying and meditation.
- Treat yourself to a massage session either once a month or once a week.
- Eat well and exercise.
- Or simply make a nice cup of coffee or tea for your to enjoy while you work.
All these are great tips that will always help you manage your time, ease the pressure and enjoy your everyday life.